Coordinator of Research Team
Name Niccolò Taddei
Position Full Professor of Biochemistry
Name of Research Team/Laboratory Oxidative Medicine
telephone number 055/2751212
Brief biographical sketch of the Coordinator
Date of birth: 23.10.1962
Diploma di Laurea in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Florence, 1987
Diploma di Specializzazione in Clinical Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Florence, 1992
Member of the scientific board of the Doctorate/PhD Program in
1) Claudia Fiorillo, PhD, Associate Professor Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology
2) Matteo Becatti, PhD, Post Doc Research Fellowship
3) Victoria Barygina, PhD, Post Doc Research Fellowship
4) Amanda Mannucci, PhD student
5) Flavia Argento, Student
6) Martina Lenzuni, Student
Current research interests
● Fibrinogen structural and functional modifications in vascular diseases.
● Redox-mediated mechanisms and molecular bases of cardiovascular diseases: diagnostic and therapeutic approaches.
● Systemic and cellular redox status alterations in cutaneous disorders (vitiligo and psoriasis): diagnostic and therapeutic approaches.
● Sirtuin signalling in oxidative cell injury.
● Redox-mediated mechanisms and molecular bases of female and male infertility: diagnostic and therapeutic approaches.
● Systemic and cellular redox status in physiologic and pathologic conditions.
Current / recent sources of funding
1) GUNA spa, Milan, Italy.
2) Fondi di Ateneo
10 best publications of the last 5 years
1) Becatti M, Taddei N, Cecchi C, Nassi N, Nassi PA, Fiorillo C. SIRT1 modulates MAPK pathways in ischemic-reperfused cardiomyocytes. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012 Jul;69(13):2245-60.
2) Saridaki T, Zampagni M, Mannini B, Evangelisti E, Taddei N, Cecchi C, Chiti F. Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) suppress the toxicity of HypF-N prefibrillar aggregates. J Mol Biol. 2012 Aug 24;421(4-5):616-30.
3) Prignano F, Ricceri F, Beccatti M, Di Gennaro P, Fiorillo C, Lotti T, Taddei N. Circulating dendritic cell subsets in psoriatic patients before and after biologic therapy. J Dermatol. 2012 Mar;39(3):274-5.
4) Barygina VV, Becatti M, Soldi G, Prignano F, Lotti T, Nassi P, Wright D, Taddei N, Fiorillo C. Altered redox status in the blood of psoriatic patients: involvement of NADPH oxidase and role of anti-TNF-α therapy. Redox Rep. 2013;18(3):100-6
5) Becatti M, Marcucci R, Bruschi G, Taddei N, Bani D, Gori AM, Giusti B, Gensini GF, Abbate R, Fiorillo C. Oxidative modification of fibrinogen is associated with altered function and structure in the subacute phase of myocardial infarction. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2014 Jul;34(7):1355-61.
6) Barygina V, Becatti M, Lotti T, Moretti S, Taddei N, Fiorillo C. Treatment with low-dose cytokines reduces oxidative-mediated injury in perilesional keratinocytes from vitiligo skin. J Dermatol Sci. 2015 Aug;79(2):163-70.
7) Becatti M, Emmi G, Silvestri E, Bruschi G, Ciucciarelli L, Squatrito D, Vaglio A, Taddei N, Abbate R, Emmi L, Goldoni M, Fiorillo C, Prisco D. Neutrophil Activation Promotes Fibrinogen Oxidation and Thrombus Formation in Behçet Disease. Circulation. 2016 Jan 19;133(3):302-11.
8) Becatti M, Marcucci R, Gori AM, Mannini L, Grifoni E, Alessandrello Liotta A, Sodi A, Tartaro R, Taddei N, Rizzo S, Prisco D, Abbate R, Fiorillo C. Erythrocyte oxidative stress is associated with cell deformability in patients with retinal vein occlusion. J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Nov;14(11):2287-2297.
9) Becatti M, Barygina V, Emmi G, Silvestri E, Taddei N, Lotti T, Fiorillo C. SIRT1 activity is decreased in lesional psoriatic skin. Intern Emerg Med. 2016 Sep;11(6):891-3.
10) Barygina V, Becatti M, Lotti T, Taddei N, Fiorillo C. Low dose cytokines reduce oxidative stress in primary lesional fibroblasts obtained from psoriatic patients. J Dermatol Sci. 2016 Sep;83(3):242-4
Previous research experiences
EU Grant holder at the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory of the University of Oxford, 1990-1992
Prof. Domenico Prisco, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence, Florence, Italy.
Prof. Torello Lotti, Chair of Dermatology, University of Rome G. Marconi, Rome, Italy.
Prof. Uwe Wollina, Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Academic Teaching Hospital Dresden-Friedrichstadt, Dresden, Germany.
Prof. Katlein França, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, USA
Prof. Giacomo Laffi, Liver Unit, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence, Florence, Italy.
Prof Daniele Bani, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Section of Anatomy and Histology, Research Unit of Histology and Embryology, University of Florence, Italy.
Prof. Maria Elisabetta Coccia, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Biomedical, Experimental and Clinical Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy.
Proff. Anna Maria Gori, Rossella Marcucci, Giusti Betti, Unit of Atherothrombotic Diseases, Careggi University Hospital, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence, Florence, Italy.
Prof. Francesco Sofi, Unit of Clinical Nutrition, Careggi University Hospital, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, University of Florence , Florence , Italy.
Prof. Marco Mugnaini, Department of Information Engineering and Mathematics, University of Siena, Siena, Italy.
Prof. Lorenzo Livi, Radiotherapy Unit, Careggi University Hospital, Department of Biomedical, Experimental and Clinical Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy.
Dr. Giacomo Emmi, Interdisciplinary Internal Medicine, Center for Autoimmune Systemic Diseases, Behçet Center and Lupus Clinic, AOU Careggi, Florence, Italy.Dr. Augusto Vaglio, Nephrology Unit, University Hospital of Parma, Italy.