Coordinator of Research Team
Name: Linda Vignozzi
Position: Associate Professor of Endocrinology
Name of Research Team/Laboratory: Gynecological Endocrinology Research Unit - Department of Experimental and Clinical Biomedical Sciences "Mario Serio"
telephone number: +390552758429
Brief biographical sketch of the Coordinator
- Born in Empoli (Florence, Italy) January 05, 1976
- 2001 Master Degree in Medical Science score 110 cum laude/110 - University of Florence
- 2006 PhD Degree in Endocrinological and Metabolic Science - University of Florence
- 2011 Diplomate Post-Graduate School of Endocrinology and Metabolism - University of Pisa
Member of the scientific board of the Doctorate/PhD Program in Biochemical Sciences.
Member of the following Scientific Societies
1) International Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health (ISSWSH)
2) European Academy of Andrology
3) Italian Society of Andrology and Sexual Medicine (SIAMS) - Coordinator of “Female Endocrinology and Sexuality Commission”
4) Italian Society of Endocrinology (SIE) – Member of the Scientific Committee
5) European Society for Sexual Medicine (ESSM)
6) Italian Society of Obesiology (SIO)
Member of the Scientific Committees of ISSWSH, SIE and SIO
Member of the editorial board of the following Journals
1) Sexual Medicine Open Access (Associate Editor)
1) Elisa Maseroli, MD, Ph D student – 11/04/1985 (Endocrinologist)
2) Irene Scavello, MD – 14/05/1982 (Gynecologist)
3) Beatrice Campone, MD – 23/03/1986 (Resident in Psichiatry School)
4) Sarah Cipriani, MD - 01/07/1988 (Resident in Endocrinology School)
5) Paolo Comeglio, PhD – 03/07/1966 (Biologist)
6) Chiara Corno, PhD student – 17/05/1988 (Biotechnologist)
7) Francesca Corcetto, PhD student – 03/05/1988 (Biotechnologist)
Current research interests
- Aetiology and clinical management of Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
- Biological and psychological correlates of Vaginismus
- Effects of sex steroids and metabolic factors on sexuality and clitoral Doppler parameters
- Effects of oral contraceptives on sexuality and clitoral Doppler parameters
- Evaluation of sexual and psychological symptoms in patients with eating disorders (anorexia nervosa, orthorexia, bulimia etc)
- Evaluation of sexual dysfunction associated with abuse in childhood, adolescence or adulthood
- Sexual dysfunction in menopausal women with and without a history of cancer
- Disorders of pubertal development
Current / recent sources of funding
1) Unconditioned support from TEVA for the study: “The Impact of Zoely on Metabolic and Sexual Health”
2) ISSWSH Research Grant for the project: “Study on the effect of systemic treatment with testosterone on clitoral haemodynamic parameters in basal conditions”
10 best publications of the last 5 years
1) Comeglio P, Filippi S, Sarchielli E, Morelli A, Cellai I, Corcetto F, Corno C, Maneschi E, Pini A, Adorini L, Vannelli GB, Maggi M, Vignozzi L. Anti-fibrotic effects of chronic treatment with the selective FXR agonist obeticholic acid in the bleomycin-induced rat model of pulmonary fibrosis. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017 Jan 20.
2) Comeglio P, Cellai I, Filippi S, Corno C, Corcetto F, Morelli A, Maneschi E, Maseroli E, Mannucci E, Fambrini M, Maggi M, Vignozzi L. Differential Effects of Testosterone and Estradiol on Clitoral Function: An Experimental Study in Rats. J Sex Med. 2016 Dec;13(12):1858-1871.
3) Maseroli E, Fanni E, Cipriani S, Scavello I, Pampaloni F, Battaglia C, Fambrini M, Mannucci E, Jannini EA, Maggi M, Vignozzi L. Cardiometabolic Risk and Female Sexuality: Focus on Clitoral Vascular Resistance. J Sex Med. 2016 Nov;13(11):1651-1661.
4) Sarchielli E, Comeglio P, Squecco R, Ballerini L, Mello T, Guarnieri G, Idrizaj E, Mazzanti B, Vignozzi L, Gallina P, Maggi M, Vannelli GB, Morelli A. Tumor Necrosis Factor α Impairs Kisspeptin Signaling in Human Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone Primary Neurons. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016 Oct 13.
5) Cardiopulmonary protective effects of the selective FXR agonist obeticholic acid in the rat model of monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension. Vignozzi L, Morelli A, Cellai I, Filippi S, Comeglio P, Sarchielli E, Maneschi E, Vannelli GB, Adorini L, Maggi M. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017 Jan;165(Pt B):277-292.
6) Maseroli E, Fanni E, Mannucci E, Fambrini M, Jannini EA, Maggi M, Vignozzi L. Which are the male factors associated with female sexual dysfunction (FSD)? Andrology. 2016 Sep;4(5):911-20.
7) Maneschi E, Cellai I, Aversa A, Mello T, Filippi S, Comeglio P, Bani D, Guasti D, Sarchielli E, Salvatore G, Morelli A, Mazzanti B, Corcetto F, Corno C, Francomano D, Galli A, Vannelli GB, Lenzi A, Mannucci E, Maggi M, Vignozzi L. Tadalafil reduces visceral adipose tissue accumulation by promoting preadipocytes differentiation towards a metabolically healthy phenotype: Studies in rabbits. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016 Mar 15;424:50-70.
8) Vignozzi L, Filippi S, Comeglio P, Cellai I, Morelli A, Marchetta M, Maggi M. Estrogen mediates metabolic syndrome-induced erectile dysfunction: a study in the rabbit. J Sex Med. 2014 Dec;11(12):2890-902.
9) Vignozzi L, Filippi S, Comeglio P, Cellai I, Morelli A, Rastrelli G, Maneschi E, Mannucci E, Maggi M. Metformin in vitro and in vivo increases adenosine signaling in rabbit corpora cavernosa. J Sex Med. 2014 Jul;11(7):1694-708.
10) Vignozzi L, Filippi S, Comeglio P, Cellai I, Morelli A, Maneschi E, Sarchielli E, Gacci M, Carini M, Vannelli GB, Maggi M. Tadalafil effect on metabolic syndrome-associated bladder alterations: an experimental study in a rabbit model. J Sex Med. 2014 May;11(5):1159-72.
Previous research experiences
Prof. Linda Vignozzi worked as:
- Fellow Researcher Assistant at the Dept. of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Florence (2001-2002)
- Researcher Assistant at Dept. Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy (2002)
- PhD student at Dept. Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy (2003-2005)
- Researcher at the Sexual Medicine and Andrology Research Unit, Dept. of Experimental and Clinical Biomedical Sciences, University of Florence (2006-ongoing)
Main scientific contributions
- Development of the International Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health “Process of Care for Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder”
- Unit coordinator of Research Project funded by PRIN (Programmi di ricerca di Rilevante Interesse Nazionale) funds by the Italian Minister of University, Research and Instruction: EFFECTS OF HYPOGONADISM AND TESTOSTERONE SUPPLEMENTATION THERAPY ON CARDIOVASCULAR FUNCTION IN AN EXPERIMENTAL ANIMAL MODEL OF CHRONIC HEART FAILURE” (Year 2009- prot. 2009WLNXNT_002)
- Unit coordinator of Research Project funded by FIRB (Programma Futuro in Ricerca) of the Italian Minister of University, Research and Instruction: Study of the role of metabolic syndrome in the pathogenesis of male infertility" (Year 2010-prot. RBFR10VJ56_002)
- Recipient of the Award of Excellence for Research by the ESSM (European Society for Sexual Medicine)
- International Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health (president Prof. I. Goldstein) – collaborator and Co-chair of “Ad hoc research grants committee”
- Gynecology and Obstetrics Unit, University of Florence and Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi (Prof. M. Fambrini, Dr. F. Pampaloni, Dr. S. Bucciantini, Dr.ssa A. Becorpi)
- Department of Neurosciences, Psychology, Drug Research and Child Health (NEUROFARBA), University of Florence (Prof. V. Ricca, Dr. G. Castellini)
- Radiotherapy Unit, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, University of Florence (Prof. L. Livi)
- Department of Systems Medicine, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy (Prof. E. A. Jannini, Dr. E. Limoncin)
- Cohordinator of the “Female sexuality commission” of the Italian Society of Andrology and Sexual Medicine
- “Osservatorio Nazionale Ovaio Policistico e Sindrome da Eccesso di Androgeni” - Club SIE “Endocrinologia della Donna” (Italian Society of Endocrinology) – Prof. P. Moghetti, Prof. C. Moretti
Other relevant information
Principal investigator of the following studies officially approved by Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi ethics committee:
- Ultrasound and Psychobiological Correlates of Female Sexual Function (NCT02372643) Prot. SPE13.034
- Oral Contraceptive Therapy and Sexuality (COSEX) (NCT02613039) Prot.OSS.14.171
- Dysthyroidism and Female Sexual Function (under evaluation for clinicaltrials.gov) Prot. OSS.16.260