Coordinator of Research Team
Maria Elisabetta Coccia
Position: Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Name of Research Team/Laboratory: Assisted Reproductive Technology - Department of Experimental and Clinical Biomedical Sciences "Mario Serio"
telephone number: +390557949667
Brief biographical sketch of the Coordinator
-1984 Master Degree in Medical Science, score 110 cum laude/110 - University of Perugia
-1989 Residency Obstetrics and Gynecology, score 70 cum laude/70 – University of Florence
-1994 PhD Degree in Perinatology, University of Perugia
Member of the following Scientific Societies
European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE)
Member of the editorial board of the following Journals
Cinzia Fatini, MD, Ph D (Internal Medicine)
Francesca Rizzello, MD, Ph D (Gynecologist)
Michela Cirillo, PhD student (Dietitian)
Elena Borrani (Tecnico Unifi)
Current research interests
Current/recent sources of funding
1) Unconditioned support from Ferring Pharmaceuticals for the study: “Prospective Multicentre non-Interventional Study to assess the Patterns of use of REKOVELLE in Women Undergoing In Vitro Fertilization or Intracytoplasmatic Sperm Injection Procedures in Routin Clinical Practice”.
2) Unconditioned support from Solvay Pharmaceuticals for the study: “Retrospective Chart Analysis of subjects with a History of Threatened Abortion/Miscarriage – Feasibility Evaluation”.
10 best publications of the last 5 years
1) Cirillo M, Coccia ME, Petraglia F, Fatini C. Role of endometriosis in defining cardiovascular risk: a gender medicine approach for women's health. Hum Fertil (Camb). 2021 Apr 30:1-9.
2) Coccia ME, Rizzello F, Wakunga S, Badolato L, Evangelisti P, Bertocci F, Claudia G, Criscuoli L, Micelli E, Picone R. 'Two countries-two labs': the transnational gamete donation (TGD) programme to support egg donation. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2020 Dec;37(12):3039-3049.
3) Rizzello F, Coccia ME, Fatini C, Badolato L, Fantappiè G, Merrino V, Petraglia F. Comorbidities, risk factors and maternal/perinatal outcomes in oocyte donation pregnancies. Reprod Biomed Online. 2020 Aug;41(2):309-315.
4) Van Calster B, Valentin L, Froyman W, Landolfo C, Ceusters J, Testa AC, Wynants L, Sladkevicius P, Van Holsbeke C, Domali E, Fruscio R, Epstein E, Franchi D, Kudla MJ, Chiappa V, Alcazar JL, Leone FPG, Buonomo F, Coccia ME, Guerriero S, Deo N, Jokubkiene L, Savelli L, Fischerová D, Czekierdowski A, Kaijser J, Coosemans A, Scambia G, Vergote I, Bourne T, Timmerman D. Validation of models to diagnose ovarian cancer in patients managed surgically or conservatively: multicentre cohort study. BMJ. 2020 Jul 30;370:m2614.
5) Froyman W, Landolfo C, De Cock B, Wynants L, Sladkevicius P, Testa AC, Van Holsbeke C, Domali E, Fruscio R, Epstein E, Dos Santos Bernardo MJ, Franchi D, Kudla MJ, Chiappa V, Alcazar JL, Leone FPG, Buonomo F, Hochberg L, Coccia ME, Guerriero S, Deo N, Jokubkiene L, Kaijser J, Coosemans A, Vergote I, Verbakel JY, Bourne T, Van Calster B, Valentin L, Timmerman D. Risk of complications in patients with conservatively managed ovarian tumours (IOTA5): a 2-year interim analysis of a multicentre, prospective, cohort study. Lancet Oncol. 2019 Mar;20(3):448-458.
6) Coccia ME, Rizzello F, Capezzuoli T, Evangelisti P, Cozzi C, Petraglia F. Bilateral Endometrioma Excision: Surgery-Related Damage to Ovarian Reserve. Reprod Sci. 2019 Apr;26(4):543-550.
7) Vitagliano A, Saccone G, Noventa M, Borini A, Coccia ME, Nardelli GB, Saccardi C, Bifulco G, Litta PS, Andrisani A. Pituitary block with gonadotrophin-releasing hormone antagonist during intrauterine insemination cycles: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BJOG. 2019 Jan;126(2):167-175.
8) Fatini C, Cirillo M, Coccia ME. Assisted Reproductive Technology, Comorbidities, and Cardiovascular Risk: The Experience of an Italian Center. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2018 Oct;27(10):1285-1292.
9) Becatti M, Fucci R, Mannucci A, Barygina V, Mugnaini M, Criscuoli L, Giachini C, Bertocci F, Picone R, Emmi G, Evangelisti P, Rizzello F, Cozzi C, Taddei N, Fiorillo C, Coccia ME. A Biochemical Approach to Detect Oxidative Stress in Infertile Women Undergoing Assisted Reproductive Technology Procedures. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Feb 16;19(2):592.
10) Casamonti E, Vinci S, Serra E, Fino MG, Brilli S, Lotti F, Maggi M, Coccia ME, Forti G, Krausz C. Short-term FSH treatment and sperm maturation: a prospective study in idiopathic infertile men. Andrology. 2017 May;5(3):414-422.
Previous research experiences
Prof. Maria Elisabetta Coccia worked as:
- Fellow Researcher Assistant at the Centre of IVF Sahlgrenska Hospital, University of Gotheborg, Sweden (1987)
- Fellow Researcher Assistant at the Centre of IVF Jones Institute, Norfolk, Virginia, USA (1989)
- Fellow Researcher Assistant at the Centre of IVF, free Universitet Brusselles, Belgium (1992)
- Fellow Researcher Assistant in Endoscopy, Centre of Endoscopy, Clermont-Ferrant (France) (1993)
- Fellow Researcher Assistant at the Ultrasonic Institute, University of Zagreb, Croatia (1993)
-Contract professor in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Trieste (1992-1993)
- Member of the Ministerial Committee for the Guidelines on Assisted Reproduction and Law 40 on Assisted Reproduction Techniques (law 40/2004) (2004)
-Adviser of the12th Permanent Committee on Hygiene and Healthcare in the Italian Senate for the investigation into Endometriosis as a social disease [Fenomeno dell'Endometriosi come Malattia Sociale] (2005-2012)
- Head of Assisted Reproduction Unit, 'Versilia' Hospital in Lido di Camaiore (LU), Italy (2010-2012)
-Clinical Researcher of the outpatient Department of Assisted Conception and Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Service, Department of Science for the Health of Woman and Child, University of Florence, Florence, Italy (2002-ongoing)
- Associate Professor Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Florence, Department of Clinical and Experimental Biomedical Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy (2004-ongoing)
-Head of Day Surgery Unit in the Department of Clinical and Experimental Biomedical Sciences, University of Florence (2009-2014)
-Head of Assisted Reproduction Unit of Careggi Hospital in Florence (2014-ongoing)
-Gynecology and Obstetrics Unit, University of Florence and Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi (Prof. F. Petraglia, Prof. M. Fambrini, Dr. F. Sorbi, Prof. F. Mecacci)
-Neurological Rehabilitation Unit, University of Florence and Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi (Prof. MP. Amato)
-Clinical Psychology, Department of Health Sciences, University of Florence. (Prof. D. Dettore)
-Clinical Biochemistry, Department of Clinical and Experimental Biomedical Sciences, University of Florence (Prof. C. Fiorillo)
-Centro di Riferimento Regionale sulle Criticità Relazionali Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi (Dr. L. Belloni, Dr. V. Zurkich)
-Ospedale Policlinico San Martino, Genova, Italy (Dr. P. Anserini)
Other relevant information
Principal investigator of the following studies: