Coordinator of Research Team Prof. Donatella Degl’Innocenti, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biochemistry (BIO/10)
telephone number: +39 055 2751249
Brief biographical sketch of the Coordinator
- 1983: Prof. Donatella Degl’Innocenti received her Master’s degree in Biological Sciences (summa cum laude) at the University of Florence (Italy).
- 1990: she obtained a Ph.D. in Biochemistry at the University of Florence (Italy).
- 1991-2001: she became a researcher at the Faculty of Pharmacy (Biochemistry sector) of the University of Florence.
- 2001 - current she is an Associate Professor of Biochemistry in the Department of Experimental and Clinical Biomedical Sciences “Mario Serio” (University of Florence). She is a lecturer in the degree courses in Medicine and Surgery, Pharmacy, and Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology at the School of Human Health Sciences (University of Florence).
- 2005-2006: she was nominated President of the Specialized Degree Course in “Pharmaceutical Biotechnology” of the Faculty of Pharmacy (University of Florence), confirmed also for 2009-2013 academic years.
- Since 2008: she is a member of the Scientific Committee of the Interuniversity Center of Marine Biology and Applied Ecology (CIBM) of Livorno (Italy).
- 2010: she was nominated member of the Interuniversity Research Center on the Molecular Bases of Neurodegenerative Diseases (CIMN) of Florence (Italy).
- 2013-2014 and 2016-2017: she was nominated President of the Master of Science in "Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology", as well as coordinator of the II level Master "Territorial pharmacist: clinical skills" (2015-2016 year).
Teachings of the Coordinator
Previous research experiences
My scientific interests included acylphosphatase characterization and purification, polyclonal antibody production and gene cloning. I conducted original and stimulating research in the immunological field, dedicating myself to the selection and production of specific recombined single chain antibodies (scFv) directed against conformational epitopes by screening phage libraries. In 2014, I produced a recombinant human antibody (hVH ) against Multiple Sclerosis epitopes
Dr. Marzia Vasarri – Ph.D.
I received a Master's degree in Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (LM-9) in 2016 with honours from University of Florence. In 2021, I received a Ph.D. in Biomedical Science. My research experience focuses on the investigation of the bioactive properties of natural products in different in vitro and in vivo experimental models.
Prof. Dr. Emanuela Barletta
Associate Professor of Pathology (MED/04)
telephone number: +39 055 2751284
I focus my attention on the role of cell adhesion and invasion in autoimmune skin diseases and hidradenitis suppurativa, neurodegenerative diseases, and on the role of occupational exposure to pesticides in the development of neurodegenerative
Current research interests
1) Bioactivity studies of natural compounds. Study of the role of these naturally occurring compounds on pathophysiological cellular processes, such as inflammation and oxidative stress, cancer cell migration, protein glycation, autophagy, and apoptosis processes.
2) Oxidative stress in rare diseases. Study of the oxidative stress involvement in the CCHS (Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome) rare genetic disease.
- Department of Chemistry “Ugo Schiff” (DICUS), University of Florence
- Department of Neuroscience, Psychology, Drug Research and Child Health (NEUROFARBA), University of Florence
- Interuniversity Center of Marine Biology and Applied Ecology “G. Bacci” (CIBM), Leighorn
- Meyer Children's Hospital of Florence
Selected publications from 2015
- Vasarri M, Ponti L, Degl’Innocenti D, Bergonzi MC. Usnic acid-loaded polymeric micelles: an optimal migrastatic-acting formulation in human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells. Pharmaceuticals. 2022, 15, 1207. DOI: 10.3390/ph15101207
- De Stefani C, Vasarri M, Salvatici C, Grifoni L, Quintela JC, Bilia AR, Degl'Innocenti D, Bergonzi MC. Microemulsions enhance the in vitro antioxidant activity of oleanolic acid in RAW 264.7 cells. Pharmaceutics. 2022, 14, 2232. DOI: 10.3390/pharmaceutics14102232
- Verdelli A, Caproni M, Coi A, Corrà A, Degl'Innocenti D, Vasarri M, Quintarelli L, Volpi V, Cipollini EM, Barletta E. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as potential predictive biomarker of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancers in psoriatic patients. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2022, 23, 12291. DOI: 10.3390/ijms232012291
- Oliva M, Martinelli E, Guazzelli E, Cuccaro A, De Marchi L, Fumagalli G, Monni G, Vasarri M, Degl’Innocenti D, Pretti C. Posidonia oceanica (L.) (Delile, 1813) extracts as a potential booster biocide in fouling-release coatings. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (Spring). 2022. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-022-23460-4
- Bigagli E, Lodovici M, Vasarri M, Peruzzi M, Nassi N, Degl'Innocenti D. Significance of Serum Oxidative and Antioxidative Status in Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome (CCHS) Patients. Antioxidants (Basel). 2022, 11, 1497. DOI: 10.3390/antiox11081497
- Morresi C, Vasarri M, Bellachioma L, Ferretti G, Degl Innocenti D, Bacchetti T. Glucose Uptake and Oxidative Stress in Caco-2 Cells: Health Benefits from Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile. Mar Drugs. 2022, 20, 457. DOI: 10.3390/md20070457
- Peruzzi M, Ramazzotti M, Damiano R, Vasarri M, la Marca G, Arzilli C, Piumelli R, Nassi N, Degl'Innocenti D. Urinary Biomarkers as a Proxy for Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome Patient Follow-Up. Antioxidants (Basel). 2022, 11, 929. DOI: 10.3390/antiox11050929
- Vasarri M, Barletta E, Degl'Innocenti D. Marine Migrastatics: A Comprehensive 2022 Update. Mar Drugs. 2022, 20, 273. DOI: 10.3390/md20050273
- Vasarri M, Vitale GA, Varese GC, Barletta E, D'Auria MV, de Pascale D, Degl'Innocenti D. Dihydroauroglaucin Isolated from the Mediterranean Sponge Grantia compressa Endophyte Marine Fungus Eurotium chevalieri Inhibits Migration of Human Neuroblastoma Cells. Pharmaceutics. 2022, 14, 616. DOI: 10.3390/pharmaceutics14030616
- Vasarri M, Degl'Innocenti D. Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Agents from the Sea: A Molecular Treasure for New Potential Drugs. Mar Drugs. 2022, 20, 132. DOI: 10.3390/md20020132
- Vasarri M, Leri M, Barletta E, Pretti C, Degl'Innocenti D. Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile Dampens Cell Migration of Human Neuroblastoma Cells. Mar Drugs. 2021, 19, 579. DOI: 10.3390/md19100579
- Vasarri M, De Biasi AM, Barletta E, Pretti C, Degl'Innocenti D. An Overview of New Insights into the Benefits of the Seagrass Posidonia oceanica for Human Health. Mar Drugs. 2021, 19, 476. DOI: 10.3390/md19090476
- Vasarri M, Barletta E, Degl'Innocenti D. Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile Extract Reduces Lipid Accumulation through Autophagy Activation in HepG2 Cells. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2021, 14, 969. DOI: 10.3390/ph14100969
- Micheli L, Vasarri M, Barletta E, Lucarini E, Ghelardini C, Degl'Innocenti D, Di Cesare Mannelli L. Efficacy of Posidonia oceanica Extract against Inflammatory Pain: In Vivo Studies in Mice. Mar Drugs. 2021, 19, 48. DOI: 10.3390/md19020048
- Bergonzi MC, Vasarri M, Marroncini G, Barletta E, Degl'Innocenti D. Thymoquinone-Loaded Soluplus®-Solutol® HS15 Mixed Micelles: Preparation, In Vitro Characterization, and Effect on the SH-SY5Y Cell Migration. Molecules. 2020, 25, 4707. DOI: 10.3390/molecules25204707
- Vasarri M, Barletta E, Vinci S, Ramazzotti M, Francesconi A, Manetti F, Degl'Innocenti D. Annona cherimola Miller Fruit as a Promising Candidate against Diabetic Complications: An In Vitro Study and Preliminary Clinical Results. Foods. 2020, 9, 1350. DOI: 10.3390/foods9101350
- Vasarri M, Ramazzotti M, Tiribilli B, Barletta E, Pretti C, Mulinacci N, Degl'Innocenti D. The In Vitro Anti-amyloidogenic Activity of the Mediterranean Red Seaweed Halopithys Incurva. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2020, 13, 185. DOI: 10.3390/ph13080185
- Leri M, Vasarri M, Palazzi L, Barletta E, Nielsen E, Bucciantini M, Degl'Innocenti D. Maysin plays a protective role against α-Synuclein oligomers cytotoxicity by triggering autophagy activation. Food Chem Toxicol. 2020, 144, 111626. DOI: 10.1016/j.fct.2020.111626
- Vasarri M, Barletta E, Ramazzotti M, Degl'Innocenti D. In vitro anti-glycation activity of the marine plant Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile. J Ethnopharmacol. 2020, 259, 112960. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2020.112960
- Vasarri M, Leri M, Barletta E, Ramazzotti M, Marzocchini R, Degl'Innocenti D. Anti-inflammatory properties of the marine plant Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile. J Ethnopharmacol. 2020, 247, 112252. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2019.112252
- Piazzini V, Vasarri M, Degl'Innocenti D, Guastini A, Barletta E, Salvatici MC, Bergonzi MC. Comparison of Chitosan Nanoparticles and Soluplus Micelles to Optimize the Bioactivity of Posidonia oceanica Extract on Human Neuroblastoma Cell Migration. Pharmaceutics. 2019, 11, 655. DOI: 10.3390/pharmaceutics11120655
- Degl'Innocenti D, Ramazzotti M, Sarchielli E, Monti D, Chevanne M, Vannelli GB, Barletta E. Oxadiazon affects the expression and activity of aldehyde dehydrogenase and acylphosphatase in human striatal precursor cells: A possible role in neurotoxicity. Toxicology. 2019, 411, 110-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.tox.2018.10.021
- Degl'Innocenti D, Becatti M, Peruzzi M, Fiorillo C, Ramazzotti M, Nassi N, Arzilli C, Piumelli R. Systemic oxidative stress in congenital central hypoventilation syndrome. Eur Respir J. 2018, 52, 1801497. DOI: 10.1183/13993003.01497-2018
- Leri M, Ramazzotti M, Vasarri M, Peri S, Barletta E, Pretti C, Degl'Innocenti D. Bioactive Compounds from Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile Impair Malignant Cell Migration through Autophagy Modulation. Mar Drugs. 2018, 16, 137. DOI: 10.3390/md16040137
- Ramazzotti M, Paoli P, Tiribilli B, Viglianisi C, Menichetti S, Degl'innocenti D. Catechol-Containing Hydroxylated Biomimetic 4-Thiaflavanes as Inhibitors of Amyloid Aggregation. Biomimetics (Basel). 2017, 2, 6. DOI: 10.3390/biomimetics2020006
- Ramazzotti M, Melani F, Marchi L, Mulinacci N, Gestri S, Tiribilli B, Degl'Innocenti D. Mechanisms for the inhibition of amyloid aggregation by small ligands. Biosci Rep. 2016, 36, e00385. DOI: 10.1042/BSR20160101
- Barletta E, Ramazzotti M, Fratianni F, Pessani D, Degl'Innocenti D. Hydrophilic extract from Posidonia oceanica inhibits activity and expression of gelatinases and prevents HT1080 human fibrosarcoma cell line invasion. Cell Adh Migr. 2015, 9, 422-31. DOI: 10.1080/19336918.2015.1008330